This Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad is a bright, crunchy, delicious way to eat your fruits and vegetables. And you'll love the Citrus Vinaigrette. It's a fast favorite at our house.
It's been nearly five years since I first shared this recipe here, but it's still one of my favorite go-to salads! The combo of Brussels Sprouts + Apples is just so tasty that since this recipe's inception five years ago, I've made this salad countless times.
This month, after all the decadence and indulgence of the holiday season, we're doing a No-Sugar-January at our house. We're relaxed about it, so when the kids went to a birthday party last weekend and had a piece of cake, it was no big deal. But I'm not cooking with any sugar at home or buying any treats. We have used some honey to bake muffins a couple times, but that's it.
No-Sugar January actually feels really good! It doesn't feel like deprivation, not after the holidays; it just feels refreshing.
I also find that when we're intentionally skipping the sugar, my kids eat their fruits and vegetables so much easier. Apples start to feel like such a treat! And cucumbers make a fine snack when all the candy canes are gone.
For myself, I'm just thoroughly enjoying salads! And this Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad is at the top of my list.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad
This is a cinch to make. The most effort it requires is slicing the Brussels Sprouts, but if you have a mandolin or a grating attachment on your food processor, that's a cinch too.
I adapted this recipe from The Pollan Family Table, and in the original recipe it says to slice the Brussels Sprouts "whisper thin." And really, thinly sliced Brussels Sprouts are so delightful and almost entirely different tasting than when they are whole.
It also helps to have a really good apple - the kind that is crispy, juicy, and sweet enough to make you want to mention it aloud. I like a good Honey Crisp, but a Gala will do if that's all you can find.
The Citrus Vinaigrette
The dressing brings it all together! Bright citrus flavors - with orange juice, and orange and lemon zest, pair perfectly with the greens and apples. Every bite of this Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad is just bursting with flavor!
I love a good dressing and this one is easy to make. Throw all the ingredients in a mason jar and shake. This would be a good one to keep in the fridge for other salads too!
Top it with shaved Pecorino Romano Cheese, and you're going to fall for it just as hard as I have.
Now that I've talked it up so much, I'm ready to go eat another bowl
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and very thinly sliced (a mandoline works too)
- 1 large gala apple with peel, cut into 1 inch long julienne
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup shaved Pecorino Romano cheese
- For the Dressing
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a glass jar with a lid (I always use a small mason jar) combine all of the dressing ingredients. Close jar tightly and shake vigorously.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together the sliced Brussels Sprouts, apple pieces, and almonds. Add the dressing and toss gently until well coated. Top with Pecorino Romano and freshly ground pepper. Enjoy right away!