The Breakfast Galette is a simple pastry crust filled with all the best breakfast fixings and topped with soft yolk eggs.
Calling all breakfast lovers!
I’ve been dreaming up this Breakfast Galette recipe for a few months and I’m happy to report that it is now a dream come true. A delicious Breakfast Galette is what every weekend needs.
First, the best and easiest pastry crust that I’ve been perfecting for years now. Don’t be intimidated, really. This is a pasty crust for even a kitchen beginner. I stand behind it completely! It’s quick and simple to make, with just a handful of ingredients. It’s much easier to work with than pie crust – not nearly so finicky. And it’s crispy and flaky the way a perfect pastry crust should be. But that’s just the beginning.
The crust is where all the feasty goodness starts, but let’s talk about the layers:
- First, a layer of ricotta mixed with freshly grated Parmesan, garlic, and oregano.
- Next, two generous handfuls of mixed greens (kale, spinach, and chard), because this is breakfast after all.
- And then the good stuff: sauteed bell peppers and onions, green chile, and sausage.
- Followed by a sprinkling of Monterrey Jack Cheese.
- Then get ready to finish it all with soft yolk eggs.
- Finally, add those finishing touches and sprinkle with freshly cracked pepper and drizzle with your favorite hot sauce.
I’m telling you, you really do need a slice of this.
This isn’t difficult to make and you can definitely have have it done, start to finish, in about an hour. Still, it’s probably more of a weekend or brunch kind of recipe. I say that largely because of the butter and the cheese. But there is a generous helping of greens, which helps tip the scale a little bit back towards healthy. I’ve long believed in the balancing powers of greens. A handful of kale can make a lot of wrongs right, at least in my kitchen.
The real point here, though, is that this Breakfast Galette is absolutely delicious. It’s the savory breakfast pastry that will satisfy all your weekend breakfast and brunch needs. I’m mean seriously. Just take a look at this:
My favorite part, though, is soft yolk eggs. When you slice the galette, the warm egg yolk spreads and this Breakfast Galette becomes absolutely heavenly.
Are you hungry yet? Let’s get started!
- 1¼ cup unbleached white flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons frozen unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ a red bell pepper, diced
- ½ a small onion, diced
- ½ cup ricotta
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- generous pinch of dried oregano
- 2 handfuls mixed greens (I use baby spinach, kale, and chard) coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cooked, crumbled sausage
- 2 or 3 tablespoons canned Hatch Green Chile (see note)
- ¼ cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- 3 or 4 large eggs
- hot sauce
- green onions, chopped, for garnish
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To prepare crust, combine flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse twice to combine.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together yogurt, water, and lemon juice. Pour over flour mixture and use hands or a wooden spoon to form dough into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic and store in freezer for 15 minutes.
- While crust is chilling, heat a skillet with a splash of olive oil and saute the bell pepper and onion over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta, Parmesan, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic clove, and oregano.
- On a well floured surface, roll the chilled dough into a 12-inch circle, leaving the edges untrimmed. Transfer dough to lined baking sheet.
- Leaving a 2-inch border, spread the ricotta mixture evenly onto the crust. Top with chopped fresh greens, then cooked sausage crumbles, followed by bell peppers, onions, and green chile. Sprinkle with grated Monterrey Jack cheese, then fold over the edges of the dough, pleating to make it fit.
- For the egg wash: whisk together the egg yolk and water. Brush the crust evenly with the mixture. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully crack the eggs over the center of the galette. Return to oven for another 5 to 8 minutes, or until crust is golden and egg whites are cooked, though the yolks should remain soft.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with freshly cracked pepper, your favorite hot sauce, and garnish with green onion.