This Three Cheese Tomato Galette is the best of summer in a pie crust!
I knew as soon as I saw the mixed variety containers of cherry tomatoes that I needed to turn them into something gorgeous and delicious!
I can never get enough of all the sweet cherry tomatoes in the summer. They are one of my favorite parts of the season.
We’ve been enjoying them in my favorite Summer Vegetable Pasta at least once a week. We’ve also been enjoying my favorite Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad with Jalapeno Lime Dressing as often as possible lately too.
Isn’t summer food the best?
This Three Cheese Tomato Galette, however, might just be the best thing I’ve ever made with cherry tomatoes. Really, really.
It’s well documented here that I LOVE a good galette. You can put just about anything on a galette crust and it’s going to taste pretty darn good. A buttery, flaky crust wins every time.
But the first time I pulled this gorgeous, cheesy Tomato Galette out of the oven, I realized I’d really outdone myself. This is one fantastic galette (if I do say so myself).
Three Cheese Tomato Galette
I think this would be a tasty tomato galette with any kind of cherry or grape tomato. But, it’s a really gorgeous tomato galette with the mix of tomato varieties. It’s a little summer rainbow in the kitchen!
To keep the galette crust from getting soggy with the roasted tomato juices, I first covered the crust with a three cheese layer. Not only do the goat cheese, Parmesan, and mozzarella add a layer of delicious flavor, but they also soak up the juice, keeping the crust flaky and crisp.
The addition of fresh herbs just adds that much more summer flavor to the whole thing. Every bite tastes like summer to me.
I’ve been so excited to share this recipe with you because it just tastes so darn good (and it’s pretty to look at too!). I want other people to experience this with me!
If you try it and love it, tag me in your photos (#somethewiser @somethewiser) on social media or come leave me a comment here. I hope this Three Cheese Tomato Galette makes your summer as delicious as a summer should be. Enjoy!
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 1¼ cup unbleached white flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons frozen unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ cup goat cheese, softened
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil (divided)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 to 3 cups Cherry or Grape tomatoes (amount will vary depending on size of tomatoes)
- Maldon Sea Salt Flakes (or other coarse salt)
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- More fresh thyme for garnish
- For the egg wash
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- To prepare crust, combine flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse twice to combine.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together yogurt, water, and lemon juice. Pour over flour mixture and use hands or a wooden spoon to form dough into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic and store in freezer for 15 minutes or the fridge for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the filling, mix the three cheeses together with the garlic, thyme, honey, a couple grinds of black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Toss the tomatoes with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil the balsamic vinegar until well coated.
- To assemble galette, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a well floured surface, roll the chilled dough into approximately a 12-inch circle (no need to trim edges). Transfer dough to lined baking sheet. Leaving a 2-inch border, spread the cheese mixture evenly over dough. Arrange the tomato mixture over the cheese. Fold over the edges of dough, pleating to make it fit.
- Whisk together egg yolk and water and brush over the crust. Sprinkle with some Maldon Sea Salt Flakes, or other coarse salt and bake for approximately 35 to 40 minutes or until cheese is puffed, tomatoes are burst, and crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for at least 15 minutes before cutting. It's delicious served warm. Garnish with additional fresh thyme and sprinkle with red pepper flakes for a little extra spice.