Can you believe summer is just around the corner? The spring weather here has been a tease, warm followed by cold, warm accompanied by extreme wind, cold but with sunshine, and warm but no sunshine. There has been enough sun and enough warmth, however, to get me really excited for the June and July days that are coming up. I am looking forward to:
- Retreating to the woods to beat the heat. I am looking forward to picnics and camping and fishing and all those trees!
- The food! The bounty at the farmer’s markets together with the bounty in my own garden make for the freshest and most delicious meals of the year. Watermelon in season is one of life’s greatest gifts, I swear. And I have 101 salad recipes to enjoy! Any good ones to share?
- Swimming suits and towels! We actually broke out the kiddie pool yesterday as a summer time preview (fun, but no sun. boo). My girls are going crazy with the excitement of visiting our favorite mountain swimming holes and rivers and streams, and the splash park downtown too!
- Friends and Family. It always feels like we see more people in the summer time, with all the barbecues and park days and family reunions. I can’t wait to see everyone!
- Fires. Whether it’s the backyard fire pit or a mountain campfire, I love the smell of summer time smoke on my clothes. I am not one to pass up a good roasted marshmellow either!
- And last, but certainly not least, my girl turns FIVE this summer (August). I have no idea how my baby is going to be five already, but it feels like a huge milestone (for me and for her). I am planning a major summer time shindig! Going to be all sorts of fun.