Early on in this parenting gig I issued some dinner rules, just a few simple guidelines to maintain a semblance of calm and cooperation at the table. Through the years I’ve repeated them so many times that they have become almost a dinner table mantra now. Everyone Eats Together (so no, you can’t read a book at the table, plates don’t make their way to the couch, and I do want to hear all about your day). Only Compliments to the Chef (if you don’t like it, don’t eat it, but don’t voice it either – the mountain of creamed spinach I scoop into the garbage later speaks volumes on its own). Everyone Cleans Up (clear your place, please clear your place, for the love of all that is holy clear your place). For the most part, it works for us.
Recently, much to my surprise, the kids added a clause of their own to the dinner rules. Side Dishes Are Not Optional. And they are serious about it too. The “What’s for dinner?” question is immediately followed now by “And what’s the side dish?” Apparently the side dishes are what distinguish dinner from lunch. It doesn’t feel like dinner if there’s no side dish, my six year old asserts, and the others nod their heads in agreement.
So, on behalf of my die hard side dish lovers, I bring you Carrot Ginger Rice with Fresh Mint. It’s not fussy, but it packs a lot of flavor. I think it can pass for sophisticated (mint always adds a few extra points for me), but the kids will eat it too. Add it to the Thanksgiving lineup or pair it with a piece of meat or fish for a bona fide dinner in less than an hour.
This Carrot Ginger Rice dish is simplified with Libby’s sliced carrots, which cut the cook time in half and taste great too. Scroll down to enter a giveaway from Libby’s for food products and a shiny new KitchenAid Slow Cooker.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ a medium sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1¾ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can Libby's Sliced Carrots, drained
- 10 to 12 large fresh mint leaves thinly sliced
- In a medium saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the ginger and saute for an additional minute. Stir in the rice and stir for another minute or two.
- Add the water and salt and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat and simmer covered until all the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let it stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Gently stir in the carrots and mint. Serve warm.
Giveaway Info + Requirements
- One Winner will Receive a Libby’s Prize Pack and 6 Qt. KitchenAid Slow Cooker
- To enter, Leave a Comment on this blog post and tell me what your favorite side dishes are.
- Contest ends November 20, 2014 at 11:59 P.M. MST.
- Open to US States only.
- Winner will be chosen via random.org and will have 3 days to respond before disqualified and a new winner chosen.
Libby’s is hosting its Cansgiving sweepstakes through November 19. Participants must post a photo of what they are thankful for on Twitter, Instagram or Libby’s Table Facebook page using the hashtag #Cansgiving for the chance to win a $350 grocery gift card toward their Thanksgiving meals. You can view the full rules at www.getbacktothetable.com/
This post was sponsored by Libby’s Fruits and Vegetables. All opinions are my own.