Excellent Early Chapter Books (Easy Readers) for kids ready to begin reading longer books with short, easy-to-read chapters.
These Early Chapter Books, or Easy Readers, serve two purposes:
- They are a great read-aloud option for younger kids who are developing a longer attention span but aren’t quite ready to listen to chapter books.
- They are perfect for beginning readers who are ready to move past Decodable Books but aren’t quite ready for longer Chapter Books.
All of the books on this list are illustrated, with easy-to-read text, common sight words, lot’s of words that can be sounded out, and 3 to 5 very short chapters.
But while it’s important to find books that work for your child’s or student’s reading level, it’s just as important to make sure those books are also great books. All of these Early Chapter Books tell wonderful stories and have excellent illustrations. Every book presents an opportunity to create a lifelong love of reading, so I’ve only included my favorite Early Chapter Books and the ones that I’d read with my kids over and over again.
If you’re looking for books that are are more challenging, try this list of Beginner Chapter Books for Independent Readers.
If you’re looking for books that are easier to read, try this list of Decodable Books for Beginner Readers.
Note: the Amazon links in this post are affiliate links.
If you enjoyed this post about Early Chapter Books, you may also enjoy these posts:
- Easy Graphic Novels for Beginning Readers
- Favorite First Grade Books to Read Aloud
- 101 Fantastic Picture Books