This Grain Free Cold Cereal is a super easy + healthy breakfast or snack. No cooking, no baking! Whip up a big batch for the whole week or just a bowl at a time.
Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but at my house it’s also the trickiest. The kids are their own kind of tricky (remember this post?), but lately I’m the one making breakfast difficult.
This Grain Free Cold Cereal is the compromise I struck with myself. It’s really healthy, but it’s a little sweeter and a lot tastier than a bell pepper at 7 AM.
It’s not a breakfast pastry, but it’s hitting the spot right now. I’ve been eating a bowl most mornings for about a month now and grain free cold cereal is still holding its five star breakfast ranking here. Even my kids like this one!
My favorite thing about this Grain Free Cold Cereal is that is so incredibly easy! Easy breakfasts are a weekday necessity at my house.
There’s no cooking or baking involved. In fact, there’s only a few ingredients and you can pick and choose what you want to put in. It’s the very definition of easy.
If you make a big batch of this cereal over the weekend, then breakfast all week long is as easy as just pouring the cereal and milk in a bowl, with an added self esteem bonus for eating a homemade breakfast. But even if you just want to make a small bowl at a time, it’s a 5 minute recipe at most. Easy + healthy = my favorite kind of breakfast.
This cereal is also very adaptable. Use the fruits (fresh or frozen) that you have on hand. Make it with whatever nuts and seeds you like best. Mix up the flavors until you find your favorite combination. In short, make it how you like it.
Right now, I’m loving all the fresh berries! But it’s also extremely good with sliced peaches, raspberries, and pistachios. Really, the possibilities are endless.
I’ve included the recipe below for a Big Batch of Grain Free Cold Cereal, plus 6 different ways to flavor it. Try it and tell me how you like to eat it too!
6 Ways to Eat Grain Free Cold Cereal
Use the recipe below and mix up a batch of Grain Free Cold Cereal. The slivered almonds, large flake coconut, and cacao nibs are the backbone of the recipe. To make it really taste great, you’ll want to add fresh fruit, seeds, and other spices as well as your favorite cold cereal milk. Here are some of my favorite ways to eat it:
- Raspberries, Blueberries, and an extra helping of whole almonds
- Bananas, Pecans, an extra pinch of cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey
- Sliced fresh mango, bananas, a drizzle of honey, and a pinch of chia seeds
- Sliced peaches, raspberries, pistachios, and Silk’s Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- Sliced Apples, dried cranberries, and a few chopped walnuts/pecans
- Sliced Strawberries, Chocolate Almond Milk, and a tablespoon of hemp seeds
- 2 cups slivered Almonds
- 2 cups large flake unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- + milk (almond milk, etc.) for serving
- + additional toppings and flavors as desired - see post above
- Mix together the almonds, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, and cinnamon if using. Store in a large jar. Keep refrigerated.
- To serve, add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the mixture to an individual serving bowl. Top with additional nuts, seeds, and fruits (see post above for flavor combinations). Add milk and enjoy!