An honest, unpaid review of Bookroo, a kids monthly book subscription box. Plus a 30% off discount code this month on your first box if you want to try it too!
What is Bookroo?
Bookroo is a monthly book subscription box for kids. They have 3 different book club options for kids ages 0 to 10 :
- Board Book Club (ages 0 – 3): Three board books per month
- Picture Book Club (ages3 – 6): Two hardcover picture books per month
- Chapter Book Club (ages 7 – 10): Two chapter books per month
The books arrive each month in an adorable turquoise box that my kids look for with excitement now. Inside the box, each of the books are individually wrapped, which makes them feel even more special and exciting!
Also included in the box each month is a card for parents that gives an overview of the books as well as some suggestions for things to talk about after reading the books. In the Board Book and Picture Book boxes, they also include a link to extension activities on their website that go along with the books.
You can see all the pricing information here (if you break it down, the price per book is very reasonable!). If you have more than one child and want multiple subscriptions, they’ll give you 15% off. You can also schedule the boxes to come every other month.
Why We Love Bookroo
First and foremost, we love the book selections. The team at Bookroo does an excellent job of selecting high quality books that are age appropriate. I especially like that they find unique book choices that I’m not seeing everywhere else. We’ve been so happy with the phenomenal books that arrive each month!
I also like that this book subscription is entirely about the books. There aren’t any toys or treats in the box to distract the kids, which I appreciate. And because the books are always wrapped in fun paper and tied with a bow, the books themselves feel like something to get excited about.
This has been especially great for my son, a first grader and rather reluctant reader. The fun of a book subscription has really made regular reading practice a lot more enjoyable for both him and for me.
It really is pretty fantastic to get great books (up to 54% off the retail price) in the mail every month. It makes sitting down to read a lot more fun for the kids without any extra effort on my part.
Our Unpaid Review of Bookroo: the Good and Bad
We have tried both the Picture Book Subscription and the Chapter Book Subscription. Based on our experience over the past few months, I would definitely recommend Bookroo! I especially enjoy supporting a smaller book business because Amazon really doesn’t need any more of my money.
It’s easy to subscribe and easy to cancel. There aren’t any hidden cancellation fees and you can easily try it for a month without locking yourself into anything.
That being said, I do have a couple minor complaints:
- The chapter book selection says it is for ages 7 to 10. Some months I feel like the books that come are definitely more geared towards 7 to 8, and they’re too easy or just not as interesting to my 10 year old. Luckily, I have kids at both ends of the age range, so the books are still appreciated. However, what I’d like to see is a fourth subscription category for 10 to 12 year olds with more upper middle grade reading selections.
- I do wish you could preview the book selection before it comes and opt out of a book if you already own it. This is something I appreciate about the Amazon Kids Book Subscription Box. As it is, if you get a book you already own, just take a picture of yourself giving it away and Bookroo will give you a $5 credit. For the average reader this probably doesn’t come up very often because they do find such great hidden gems. However, we’re avid readers (and book buyers) over here and it’s happened to us twice already.
Minor complaints aside, I love our Bookroo subscription and so do my little readers. I highly recommend Bookroo! It also makes a great gift for birthdays and holidays – tell the grandparents.
Discount Code: Try it out!
This month, if you use my referral link here to try out a box, you can get 30% off. The books are already a big discount, so this is a fantastic bargain for some wonderful new books!
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments.
If you enjoyed this Unpaid Review of Bookroo, you may also enjoy these reviews: