An Unpaid Review of OwlCrate Jr., a magical book box for kids ages 8 to 12. Get it as a monthly subscription, or just buy a one time box as a gift. We have a lot of good things to say about this one!
What is OwlCrate Jr.?
OwlCrate Jr. is a monthly book box subscription for kids ages 8 to 12. If you’re not interested in a subscription, you can also just buy a one-time box (this makes a great gift!).
Each box contains:
- A brand new hardcover middle grade novel
- An exclusive letter and bookplate signed by the author
- A collectible sticker
- An issue of OwlCrate Jr. Magazine, which includes more recommended books, interviews, and activities
- An assortment of other high quality goodies (normally 4 to 6 items) that go along with the book’s theme
Each box is carefully curated to make the entire book experience feel really magical!
Currently, it is $29.99 per month, with a slight discount if you prepay for a 3 or 6 month plan, plus an additional $8.99 for shipping within the US (they do have International shipping too!). If you don’t want a subscription and are just looking to buy a one-time box, prices range from $27.99 to $32.99.
This is more expensive than some of the other subscription boxes we’ve tried, but we’ve been so impressed with OwlCrate Jr. and it definitely feels worth the cost.
What We Love About OwlCrate Jr.
What we love most about OwlCrate Jr. is that this isn’t just a book box, it’s an entire experience! And honestly, we’ve been blown away by how incredibly magical the whole experience is.
The first time we tried OwlCrate Jr., I ordered a one-time box. We are really big fans of the Nevermoor Series by Jessica Townsend, so when the third installment of the trilogy came out, I purchased the Hollowpox Special Edition Box.
Not only did we receive the book signed by the author, but we also received a high quality Nevermoor umbrella, a Wunsoc pennant banner, a padded book sleeve, a delicious smelling shower steamer, character trading cards, an art print, and a Wunsoc pin. My little Nevermoor fans were over the moon! It all really brought the book to life for us, and every single item in the box was incredible.
Here are a few more things that we love about the boxes:
- They choose really wonderful middle grade books for each box
- Many of the special items each month are designed by small business and independent artists
- Each month’s book is newly published within 45 days of when the boxes ship out (so you’re unlikely to get a book you already have)
- Every item in the box enhances the book reading experience, which means it’s a great tool for getting reluctant readers excited about a book
- You don’t have to subscribe to get a box and the one-time book boxes make amazing gifts (tell the grandparents!)
Our Unpaid Review of OwlCrate Jr.
I can’t say enough good things about OwlCrate Jr.! Whether you have an avid bookworm at home or you’re trying to create a better reading experience for a reluctant reader, these book boxes are spectacular.
Not only does the team at OwlCrate Jr. select excellent middle grade books each month, the boxes themselves are packaged with actual magic, guaranteed to bring joy to every recipient. We highly recommend OwlCrate Jr.! And, if a subscription isn’t really in your budget right now, keep this in mind for holidays and birthdays – the one-time boxes make really wonderful and unique gifts!
I don’t currently have a discount code, but you can receive 10% off your first box if you sign up for their newsletter!
You can see all of our Kid’s Book Subscription Box Reviews here, to determine what Book Box is the best fit for you and your budget.