Everything Bagel Muffins are a whole lot easier to make at home than bagels and they are mighty tasty. Pair them with your breakfast eggs, a warm bowl of tomato soup, or some deli meats for a quick lunch. Super yum!
I love bagels. Actually, I wholeheartedly adore bagels. But that fact is, they just aren’t as easy as muffins. There are so many steps when you make them at home (like boiling them before you bake them). They are a time commitment, so even though a homemade bagel is a mighty fine treat, they just don’t happen very often around here.
We do live
way too close to a bagel shop, but as much as I’d love to buy my morning bagel every day, it’s just too pricey.
Enter the Everything Bagel Muffin. Tadah!
You’re less than 30 minutes away from a hot out of the oven Everything Bagel Muffin right now! They are that easy.
No, they’re not bagels. But they make a pretty good stand in. Plus, bagels aside, they’re delicious! This is a savory muffin that you can easily fall in love with.
I took my favorite basic muffin recipe – the same one that can turn into a Cinnamon Roll Muffin or a Savory Cheese Muffin – and tweaked it just a little. I added a cup of shredded Romano/Parmesan Cheese to the batter, along with a few tablespoons of fresh chives. I topped them with a perfect blend of Everything Bagel spices, for that bagel flavor we all love.
Bake those pseudo-bagel babies for 15 minutes and you’re all done! A shmear of butter on a fresh from the oven muffin is a bite of perfection. They’re a perfect partner for your favorite breakfast eggs. You can pair them with a warm bowl of soup, dunking is encouraged. You can even turn them into a simple lunch or snack by topping them with deli meat of your choice and a slice of cheese. It’s everything but the bagel, but who needs bagels with muffins like this!
If you already have a jar of Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel Seasoning Blend in the pantry then you’re good to go. If not, just mix up a few tablespoons of your favorite bagel spices (see recipe below).
Now, let’s get to those muffins.
If you enjoyed this Everything Bagel Muffins recipe, you may also enjoy these recipes:
- Beer Batter Bread with Caramelized Onions and Cheese
- Skillet Cornbread Pudding
- Ham and Cheese Rolls From Scratch
- 2 cups flour*
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded Romano/Parmesan Cheese
- 1/ 4 cup chives
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon coarse or flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a standard 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir in the cheese and chives.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in the milk mixture and stir just until mixed, being careful to not over mix.
- For large muffins (as picture) scoop ⅓ cup batter into 9 well greased muffin cups. For smaller muffins, scoop ¼ cup batter into 12 well greased muffin cups. Sprinkle approximately 1 teaspoon of bagel spice mix onto the top of each muffin, gently pressing it in.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until muffins are lightly golden and spring back when touched. Cool in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.