This super easy Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe is a Vegetarian, family friendly favorite to warm you up this winter!
Last winter we didn’t get any snow and it was unseasonably warm most of the winter. I didn’t necessarily mind the warm part of that, but we all voiced our complaints about the lack of snow.
It doesn’t really feel like we’ve had a proper winter if we don’t get at least one snow day!
The weather gods heard us and this year they’re getting revenge. It’s been so cold here! We’ve had several good snows, but along with the snow, there’s been so many days where the temperature doesn’t make it past 20 degrees.
But since it wouldn’t be winter if we didn’t complain about the weather at least a little bit (right?), we’re wishing for a little more sunshine around here and some higher numbers on the thermometer.
In the meantime, we’re warming up inside with all the hot soups and stews. This Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe is a recent favorite. The kids keep requesting it so it’s been weekly fare here this cold cold January.
It’s a super quick soup, which makes it ideal weekday fare. The cheese tortellini part of this Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe convinced even my pickiest eater to give it a try.
And although it has all the warm, delicious markers of a comfort food recipe, it’s a really healthy vegetarian dinner.
My favorite part of this Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe is the scoop of pesto you serve on top of each steaming bowl. The spicy basil paired with the fire roasted tomatoes is just the right flavor combination to remind me of the promise of all those warm summer days ahead. I’m so ready!
It also reminded me to go ahead and start planting the tomato and basil seeds for the garden right now. It may be grey and cloudy out there right now, but I’m dreaming of warmer days.
Meanwhile, I’m making another pot of this Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe for dinner tonight.
We like to serve this soup with some sourdough cheese toasts and everyone in the family gobbles it right up!
If it’s cold where you are too, you can find some our favorite soup recipes here.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5) ounce cans of fire roasted tomatoes (like Muir Glen)
- 32 ounces broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 (9 ounce) package dried cheese tortellini (I used DeLallo)
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach (more or less)
- ⅓ cup basil pesto
- freshly grated Parmesan for serving
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the chopped carrots and onion and saute for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and simmer covered for 10 minutes, or until tortellini is cooked. Remove from heat. Stir in the baby spinach and let sit for a minute or two.
- Serve with a spoonful of basil pesto and a sprinkling of Parmesan in each bowl.