This Sweet Spiced Pumpkin Soup is easy enough for a weeknight dinner, but it also makes a delicious soup for holiday entertaining. If you love pumpkin, you’ll totally fall for this soup!
I hope you’re not tired of pumpkin yet because I am taking my pumpkin obsession to an extreme right now. Pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin dip, and so on and so forth. I love pumpkin!
I had this pumpkin soup at a Christmas party somewhere in Virginia nearly ten years ago. It was so good, and I raved about it so much that the hostess shared her recipe with me at the end of the party. Then, I forgot all about it.
I recently discovered the recipe again while cleaning out the cookbook shelves and with a few slight adaptations, it was a delicious surprise once again. This soup is really good! The blend of spices and a touch of sweetness compliment the pumpkin, which really is the star of the show. This recipe also freezes well, which is a huge help now that school is in full swing around here.
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup diced carrot
- ¾ cup diced celery
- ¾ cup sliced ripe banana
- ½ onion,chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3½ cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 whole clove
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon yellow curry powder
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, banana, onion, garlic. Saute vegetables until they are soft, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of broth, then transfer mixture to blender, or use submersion blender, and blend until smooth. Return mixture to pot and add remaining 3 cups of broth and all other remaining ingredients. Bring soup to a boil and simmer over medium-high heat for 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Using a submersion blender, or carefully transferring mixture in batches to a blender, puree soup until smooth. Return soup to pot and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro if desired. Serve warm.