This Slow Cooker Butternut Bacon Cheese Dip recipe is for all of my fellow slackers out there. Christmas is just days away and we still haven’t even put up our Christmas tree yet! Things got crazy around here last week and I’m still scrambling to get caught up now.
At this point, with only two days left until go time, I am realizing that I need to pare down the to-do list to the essentials. Some things are just not going to get done and as hard as it is for this single mother to admit that she cannot in fact do everything all by herself, that’s just the way it has to be this year. I’m trying to let myself off the hook gently, without all of that inner criticism that keeps scolding in the back of my mind, a better mother would have gotten more done. I love this time of year, but man, the pressure is really on.
But with busy schedules and long to do lists, I’ve got a healthy-ish recipe that you can throw in the slow cooker. It’s perfect for holiday gatherings or just the general munchiness that happens over the holiday break. It’s got cheese, so it is a cheese dip, but it’s also got butternut squash so it’s a healthy cheese dip too. Best of all, it mostly just tastes delicious, which is my favorite kind of dip!
You can pair this with veggies, or apples, or any kind of chips. In keeping with my healthy-but-delicious theme, I paired it with a bag of Way Better Snacks Multigrain Corn Tortilla Chips. I love Way Better Snacks because they use healthier ingredients and sprout their grains for easier digestibility. I wasn’t paid to tell you this, but I really do think they make way better snacks and they taste great with this healthy-but-delicious dip!
- 2¼ pounds, approximately, butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 5 slices applewood smoked bacon, divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- ¼ chopped green onions
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste)
- Place peeled, cubed squash in a large pot and cover with water. Lightly salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook partially covered for 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is soft. Drain.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels and then crumble. Set aside.
- Combine the cooked, drained squash and the softened cream cheese and yogurt in a large bowl using a submersion blender or in the jar of a high powered blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a 1.5 or 2 quart slow cooker. Stir in ¾ cup of cheddar cheese, the green onions, garlic salt, and ⅔ of the bacon. Cook on low for 2 hours. Just before serving, melt the remaining cheddar on top and sprinkle with reserved bacon. Serve immediately or keep warm for up to 2 additional hours. This dip tastes best warm.
This is NOT a sponsored post. I did receive samples of Way Better Snacks for review purposes and my opinions are my own. Check out Way Better Snacks for more flavors – the Sweet Chili Chips are my favorite with the Multigrain Corn Tortilla Chips as a close second!