Chunky Monkey Baked Trail Mix, the most delicious on-the-run snack! Nuts, oats, Banana Chips, Chocolate, and Coconut covered in a sweet Coconut Oil and Peanut Butter glaze.
This Chunky Monkey Baked Trail Mix was inspired by one of our favorite literary characters! Well, that and the beloved Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream flavor.
Like the ice cream, this baked trail mix has chunks of dark chocolate, banana chips, and walnuts. But the idea for a quick and easy baked trail mix snack was inspired by Drest from the fantastic middle grade book, The Mad Wolf’s Daughter by Diane Magras.
In the book, Drest is on a five day race through medieval Scotland to save her family before they are hanged at the castle prison. This is a girl who really needs a quick on-the-run kind of snack!
I may not be sword fighting my way through a medieval forest any time soon, but I’m always on board for a quick and easy snack. I am a parent of four kids, which doesn’t exactly make me a legend like Drest, but it’s some kind of heroic. Right?
Snacks like this Chunky Monkey Baked Trail Mix are my favorite! I can make a big batch when I have an open hour and then dole it out to my hungry kids all week long.
It’s a hearty, filling snack packed with oats, coconut, and nuts for fuel – you know, like a 12 year old warrior needs. We haven’t tried it while running through the Scottish headlands yet, but we can say it’s a mighty good treat to have a long on an afternoon hike in the mountains.
If you’re a fan of Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey ice cream, or if you just want to try out a new, delicious baked trail mix, I highly recommend this one!
If you’re looking for a good, exciting book to read, complete with sword fights and an action packed journey in Scotland, I also highly recommend The Mad Wolf’s Daughter. You can read more about the book and it’s upcoming sequel here on the blog.
- 1 cup large coconut flakes
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup coarsely chopped raw walnuts
- ½ cup roasted salted cashews
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup all natural peanut butter, stirred
- 1 egg white
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup dried unsweetened banana chips
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, oats, and nuts.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the syrup, oil, and peanut butter. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or until coconut oil is melted. Stir until smooth. Let cool slightly, for about 5 minutes, then stir in the cinnamon, vanilla, salt and egg white until well mixed.
- Pour oil mixture over the oats and nuts and stir until completely coated. Pour mixture onto prepared sheet pan and spread evenly, pressing it down with a large spatula.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden. Do not stir. Remove from oven and let it cool for about 20 minutes, or until it has hardened up. Gently break it apart in large chunks. Stir in the banana chips and chocolate.
- Serve immediately or store in an air tight container for up to a week.